Maybe the Buddhists were right

Buddhism has always appealed to me as a peaceful and beautiful religion. The aspects I love most about it is that it does not worship anyone; nor does it tell you to respect and follow a higher being that you have never seen and have no proof even really exists (despite that I have beliefs of this exact kind of stuff), and instead teaches their followers to focus on oneself.

Buddhism encourages you to live a certain way in order to find the one thing majority never finds; peace with themselves and to be what they want to see in others. It seems people are never completely happy with who they are. We deny a lot about ourselves rather than face it, deal with it and try to fix it. But anyway, this wasn't what I wanted to discuss.

Despite my respect and interest in Buddhism, I don't think I could ever actually go through with becoming a Buddhist because I am too, well, human.
I am quite selfish. I know this. Unfortunately this tendency is a common aspect shared amongst humanity.
Therefore I do not want to give up material possessions, dreams of travelling and living the high life or owning a good home in the hopes that I may some day find enlightenment. These are things I aspire for. It gives my days purpose. And I don't have any intentions of changing this. At the most, I'll try and be a good person on the way.

But the part I found the most challenging to comprehend is the ideology that people must let go of attachments, to which I was like, 'the hell is the point in that?'
What's the point in having no attachments to anything? No suffering?
Okay, no suffering does sounds pretty great but you can't have suffering if you didn't have the opposite of it in the first place.
Being a human, we feel. It's what we do. And its reminder to us that we are alive.
It makes us special that we often act out so passionately and wildly due to something inside us that we can't even see and that we create things in order to express these invisible things. I admire that about humans.

But then I thought - maybe what is meant by letting go and not having attachments, is to let go of the bad and move on. Perhaps when we take steps back, by returning to a place - both literally and metaphorically, it is just making our journey longer and harder.
As much as we may want to go back to something, it is probably not the best thing for us. Maybe its time to let go and move on.

So what I mean is, perhaps when things don't go well and we begin to suffer, we must let go and move on. There's no need to drag on our pain after all.
So instead of going back, no matter how much we  may want to, maybe we are supposed to reflect and learn, take those lessons, and apply it to our future and hope the next round goes better.


Comments

Popular Posts