Net Gen

Do you know what I think is one of the biggest problems with our generation? And now, I say this with a personal and hyprocritial approach as I myself, am too not immune to this trait.
But I believe one of our biggest problems is our determination to be so different from others.

I came to this thought when stalking someone's instagram profile and coming across a picture that says, 'don't just be another brick'.
But what is wrong with being a brick? Someone has to be brick. Or should we just have a wall with all these missing pieces; trying to fill the gaps with rolls of toilet paper or shells? What's the practicality in that?

Yeah okay, no one is going to point at a brick after one glance and say, "I like that brick. Yep, that one right there. That's my brick."
And maybe if we all come across as the same, it will be harder to find the best person for us.

But what I am trying to say is that we aren't all so different. We are all born and living in the same world - how different can all our thoughts and values be? Obviously not EVERYONE is the same. There are a lot of different kinds of bricks out there, afterall. But you aren't going to be the only brick just like you. There is plenty. Many. A lot. And there will be tiny little things that separate you from one another, of course. Just like no brick is EXACTLY like another brick.

But what's wrong with being bricks? Why are we trying so hard to be different? I think we need to celebrate our similarities.

It seems most people are on this road to be different, 'themselves', but I don't think many consider maybe the fact, that who they are deep down, is really not so different from someone beside them.

I wanted to be different. I wanted to be original. I wanted to believe that I was truly unique and in some very small ways, I am. There is no one exactly like me. But the difference is probably not very obvious. I am not that different. Not really. 

And that's okay. 

There are seven billion people in the world. 

Why are we constantly searching to be different? It is a satisfaction we will probably never have. 

It's good finding someone who thinks exactly like you. It's great finding someone with your same sense of humor. It is amazing having someone close to you with the same values. The same fashion taste. The same goals and aspirations. The same creative hobbies. 

Being another brick isn't that bad. 

I'm not saying don't try to achieve your goals of fame, riches or to inspire. Don't give up your creativity or ideas.
Just accept the fact that there is more than likely someone else/s out there with similar ideas, goals and creations and that really isn't so bad. 

If you were all to come together as bricks, imagine what kind of amazing building you guys could make. 

Comments

Popular Posts